The LPI Summer Internship 2024 in the United States presents a significant opportunity for undergraduates to gain valuable research exposure. This experience allows them to learn from leading planetary scientists, exploring exciting career paths in planetary science. This fully-funded internship in the USA offers students the chance to engage in professionally curated activities including lectures and workshops. It’s an appealing prospect for exceptionally qualified students, especially during times of global crisis marked by social, political, economic, and religious upheavals. This international internship enables passionate students to expand their knowledge in the fields of science and engineering, calling upon intellectually-driven individuals to participate in this cost-free summer internship abroad.
Sponsored by LPI, this fully-funded summer internship program is merit-based, aiding individuals in honing career-specific skills. Participants have the opportunity to collaborate and learn from seasoned professionals within a supportive and collaborative environment. This fosters trust-building relationships that can yield valuable letters of recommendation and establish extensive professional networks. Considering the ongoing pandemic, the internship program might be conducted in-person, virtually, or through a hybrid model. Intern selection by project supervisors hinges on academic excellence, alignment with scientific interests, and backgrounds that suit specific project requirements. This approach ensures productive research, aligning with the institute’s mission to advance science through a diverse research community.
The Lunar and Planetary Institute’s student internship seeks to enhance understanding of the solar system by offering exceptional services and inspiring individuals globally. It stands as a leading institution in lunar and planetary science, gathering top scientists, post-doctoral fellows, experts, and students worldwide. Additionally, it supports the research community through various engagements such as meetings, conferences, activities, and newsletters. Moreover, it facilitates the collection and dissemination of planetary data with convenient access to NASA, aiming to engage, inspire, and educate the public about space science.
This fully funded internship in the United States aims to invest in nurturing future explorers while assisting NASA in its exploration of the solar system. Operating under the Universities Space Research Association (USRA), the institute provides a platform for industrial and governmental bodies to access expertise in technical leadership, operational efficiency, innovative research and development, facility management, and academic programs within space sciences. USRA focuses on integrating scientific capabilities into applications that span research, management, and operations. The institute offers research scientists the chance to play influential roles in addressing scientific challenges and provides optimal research avenues for productive solutions.
Details About the LPI Internship 2024
- Country: United States
- Internship Dates: 10-week program (June 3–August 9, 2024)
- Financial Benefits: Fully Funded
- Deadline: 12th December 2023
Location of Internship
The interns will be located either at the Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI) or the NASA Johnson Space Center, both in Houston, Texas.
Selected interns will receive:
- $8,220 in financial support.
- This amount covers the internship stipend, travel, housing, and cost of living expenses.
- The internships are funded through NASA’s Support for Planetary Sample Science.
Eligibility Criteria of LPI Summer Internship, USA:
- The scholarship is designed for undergraduates with 50 semester credit hours.
- Candidates with specialization in physical and natural sciences, computer science, mathematics, or engineering are preferred.
- Everyone regardless of gender, sex, or disability is eligible.
- Candidates will be selected based on their scholarship, curriculum, experience, scientific interest, career goals, and research projects.
- NO IELTS/TOEFL is Required if you can get an English Proficiency Certificate from your professor of English at your university.
- Planetary Geology and Surface Processes
- Impact Cratering
- Planetary Remote Sensing and Spectroscopy
- Geochemistry, Petrology and Mineralogy
- Planetary Interiors and Geophysics
- Planetary Atmospheres
- Lunar Science and Exploration
- Asteroids and Other Small Bodies
- Icy Satellites
- Meteorites and Sample Analysis
- Interplanetary Dust and Presolar Grains
LPI Internship Timeline
|December 12, 2023||Application Deadline|
|March 2024||Notification of Selections|
|June 3, 2024||Program Begins|
|August 7, 2024||LPI Summer Intern Conference|
|August 8, 2024||Alumni Seminar|
|August 9, 2024||Program Ends|
|August 10, 2024||Departure/Move-Out|
Documents Required for the LPI Internship in the United States:
- A hard copy of official transcripts.
- Language proficieny proof (TOEFL, IELTS, or a letter from your college professor)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/Resume.
- Valid Passport.
How to Apply for the LPI Summer Intern Program 2024 in the United States?
- All candidates have to apply online.
- The applicants need to complete all questions on the application form including essay-style questions.
- Provide all required personal information, e.g., name, address, country, religion, etc.
- Provide official transcripts.
- Provide three reference letters.
- An official hard copy of the transcript should be emailed by the college registrar of the candidates.
- Complete all the required fields that are necessary for registration.
- Complete your registration request carefully and submit it.
- The applicants will receive a confirmation email after submission.